The United Arab Emirates consists of a very diverse population of ethnicities, especially in Dubai wherein the majority of residents are expatriates. So, can public notaries in Dubai notarize a document in a foreign language? The local legislation doesn’t allow notarizes in notarizing documents in foreign languages. A public notary in UAE can only notarize a document if it is presented in Arabic or English.
Being its responsibility, a notary in Dubai witnesses and identifies the signatures of persons signing documents. Notarization of documents in foreign languages is required for several different corporate and personal situations. This includes submission of financial statements, mergers and acquisitions, testimonies from corporate employees, court documents, university transcripts, documents pertaining to citizenship or immigration, and wills among others.
If you’re seeking a document notarization in UAE and your paperwork is not in English or Arabic, then you need to prepare accordingly by taking a close look at the following considerations which are observed by public notaries in Dubai regarding the situation:
- Official translation – official translation is required for a document that is in a foreign language in order for it to be notarized. According to the guidelines that are set by the UAE Ministry of Justice, documents have to be in Arabic or English if they are issued in other countries aside from the UAE and they are to be used for an official reason with any of the UAE authorities. Original documents must also be stamped or sealed by the Ministry/Department of Foreign Affairs. Official translators in UAE will only translate documents that have been attested. Legal translations must only be performed by certified translators that have official recognition from the Ministry of Justice.
- Verification of signers’ identity – a public notary in Dubai has to ensure that a document’s signatures are legitimate. This is done by verifying the identities of signatories. A Dubai notary public will ask for identification papers from all those that will sign both the original document and the translated version of the document. The notary will also record details regarding the identification documents provided by the signatories. Additionally, a notary public will verify if the signatories are capable of understanding what they are signing. In the event that an individual is found to be medicated, intoxicated, or incapable of understanding what is happening, a notary won’t notarize documents. A notary won’t proceed with the notarization of documents if all parties aren’t present at the signing. This is why it’s important to be on time during your appointment.
- Signing and dating of documents – a notary will watch signatories sign documents, then sign and seal or stamp the documents. A notarial certificate may also be filled out including the notarial journal as per the local legislation.
As soon as all the signatories have signed the document, including the notary public, the document will be considered legally binding.
In order to have a notary complete the notarization process for documents in a foreign language, the following documents must be furnished:
- Attested document in its original foreign language
- Official translated copy
- A signed affidavit attesting the accuracy of a document and competency of the official translator
- Power of attorney, if applicable
- Identification documents of signatories
For superior and ethical customer service, reach out to our team here in Notary Public Dubai. With several decades of notarial assistance under our belt dealing with several different foreign jurisdictions, legalization and notarial requirements of clients are addressed as efficiently and effectively as possible. We’re familiar with a wide range of requirements and documents from foreign and local jurisdictions. If you want to know more, call us today!
Can I sign a document to be notarized even if I can’t read or write?
Public notaries in UAE encourage document signatories to get legal counsel regarding both the effect and nature of specific documents that will be signed and notarized. Documents may be notarized in the office of an individual’s attorney.
How will a public notary in Dubai know if I’m signing a document willingly?
There is no statute in the United Arab Emirates that defines or provides criteria in evaluating or assessing willingness or competence. With just a couple of questions, a public notary can assess whether a signatory fully understands the effect and nature of the document that will be signed and notarized. The notary will be engaging in formal and normal conversation to document signatories. In just a couple of minutes, a notary will already be able to determine if a document’s execution was made voluntarily and freely without duress, intoxicating influences or undue emotional pressure. If coercion is evident and the signatory appears to be forced or frightened, then the notary will decline in notarizing a transaction. It is best to choose a reputable notary public in Dubai to ensure you get a reliable service.
Read also: Reasons To Hire A Mobile Notary In UAE
Syed Hassan Ali has an experience of 13 years and is highly specialized in providing legal consulting for all types of notary requirements. By utilizing his diverse and deep knowledge, he has consistently aided individuals and organizations in finding flexible and timely solutions.